BCCS Dubai is a sister school to the successful BCCIS in Cairo which has achieved outstanding British Columbia inspection results and has successfully prepared students for graduation and beyond.
We have created a significant global opportunity by becoming a fully accredited British Columbia, Canada Offshore School. Using the B.C. curriculum, our K-12 students learn to take risks, work collaboratively in groups, communicate their ideas effectively in different ways and develop inquiring minds and self-discipline. The development of these skills will ensure they will be able to be better global citizens.
British Columbia students consistently rank amongst the top in the world in Reading, Math and Science in the OECD’s PISA results. In the recently published 2015 study, they earned the Top Spot for reading, Second in science and Sixth in Math Globally.
Our students are taught in English and French and, at the completion of their studies, attain the B.C. ‘Dogwood’ Graduation Certificate. In order to meet the graduation requirements our students write B.C. Ministry of Education Provincial Examinations in English 10, Mathematics 10, Science 10, Social Studies 11, and English 12
Why teach at BCCS?
Making the decision to move to another country presents many rewards as well as some challenges. There are many reasons to choose to teach at BCCS:
- Being part of a start-up school with opportunities to create something new experiencing the adventure and excitement of accessible travel throughout the Middle East, Africa, the Mediterranean and Europe from a home base in Dubai.
- Living in a culturally different country but still being able to purchase most North American food items and other goods.
- Being part of a school that has a history of excellence in achievement on B.C. Provincial Exams and excellent inspection reports from the B.C. Ministry of Education.
- Being supported through professional development and mentoring by B.C. trained and certified administration and staff.
- Participating in cultural experiences in a foreign country whose memories will last a lifetime.
- Being a member of a professional learning community that emphasizes team and cooperative planning.
- Gaining valuable teaching skills and experience in an innovative education setting with excellent resources and facilities.
- Acquiring recognition of B.C. teaching experience.
- Being remunerated with a competitive salary and benefit package.
- Working with a family of BCCS Board members who genuinely care about the quality of the school and happiness of their employees
What sort of person are we looking for?
Our ideal candidates will be those who:
- Have a sense of adventure and an interest in contributing to the success of something new.
- Are well-balanced and flexible and understand that not everything will be in place on day one.
- Demonstrate a cultural understanding and respect for the UAE and are able to adapt to a Middle Eastern lifestyle.
- Care deeply for students and have a strong commitment to the teaching profession.
- Are a good role model for students and colleagues and demonstrate high personal standards at all times.
- Conduct themselves in a professional and ethical manner at school and within the community and are willing to respect and abide by the laws of the host country.
- Have an open mind and are willing to learn...are lifelong learners.
What is the role of a teacher at BCCS?
BCCS is a B.C. Offshore School and the role of our teachers in Dubai will be the same as for any school in British Columbia. We are looking for teachers who have:
- Demonstrated sensitivity, awareness and understanding of youth and adolescent development.
- An enthusiasm for working and developing positive relationships with children and teenagers.
- Demonstrated ability and knowledge of strategies necessary to motivate young children and adolescents to achieve at a high level.
- The ability to prepare detailed plans including course overviews, unit plans and lesson plans.
- Proven ability to inspire confidence and self-worth in students.
- A high level of energy and great interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated capabilities in working effectively and collaboratively as a member of a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated the use of successful instructional strategies in the classroom.
- Demonstrated excellent classroom management, behaviour management and classroom organization skills.
- A commitment to ongoing professional development.
- An understanding and knowledge of the Ministry of Education’s current philosophy for graduation level schools with respect to teaching practices and evaluation/assessment (including formative and summative assessment) and reporting procedures.
- Proven competence in using technology in the classroom.
- A willingness to learn about and show respect for other cultures.